From Local Sources
JASPER -- The Jasper Water Department is issuing a BOIL ORDER on the southeast side of the city for residential and business customers along the following streets:
- St. James
- Hill Road
- Energy Drive
- 3rd Avenue from Liberty Street to South Meridian Road
The area affected includes Redemption Christian Church and Dubois REC offices. Until further notice, residential and business customers in the affected area need to boil their water before consuming. Water samples will be tested overnight. Water from the site must pass two samples over a 48 hour period before the order is lifted. Until further notice, residential and business customers in the affected area need to boil their water before consuming.
A boil water advisory is issued when some type of event has created the potential for contamination to enter the water supply. Jasper Water customers in the impacted neighborhood should bring water used for drinking, coffee, tea, powdered drinks, fountain drinks, ice, brushing teeth and washing dishes to a full boil for at least 5 minutes before consuming.
Additional guidelines supplied by the Dubois County Health Department are provided below.
A boil water advisory is issued when some type of event has created the potential for contamination to enter the water supply.
Bring the water to a full boil for at least 5 minutes.Cool and aerate the boiled water by pouring it through the air from one clean container to another, or mixing rapidly with a clean utensil.Aeration will reduce the flat taste caused by boiling.
Boil water in the following instances:
- All water used in beverages such as coffee, tea or kool-aid
- All water used as an ingredient in any food products (sauces, dressings, desserts, etc.)
- All water used to make ice
- All water used for handwashing or brushing teeth
- All water used for washing dishes or food contact surfaces
- All water used for washing produce
- All water used for feeding animals
- Water filtering or treatment units will not remove all of the possible contaminants that the order is targeting.
- Dishwashers do not reach a temperature high enough to remove all of the possible contaminants
- Use of single-service (paper plates, plastic utensils, etc.) is advisable
- Water is suitable for bathing purposes
- Dispose of ice already accumulated in ice machines