Dubois Co.- On September 2, 2023, the Indiana State Police Jasper Post was contacted by the Asheville, North Carolina Police Department in reference to assisting in the apprehension of a male suspect wanted for a homicide that occurred in Asheville, North Carolina in the early afternoon hours of September 2. ISP Troopers were informed the suspect's vehicle was traveling west on I-64 near the 115-mile marker.
The Spencer County Sheriff's Office, Dubois County Sheriff's Office, and the Ferdinand Police Department assisted the Indiana State Police with observing for the suspect's vehicle. A short time later, ISP Trooper Giesler located the vehicle and initiated a traffic stop on I-64 near the 66-mile marker. Upon further investigation, ISP determined the driver, Arturo Martinez-Cordero, 45, of North Carolina, was the wanted suspect law enforcement was searching for. Troopers also believed Arturo Martinez-Cordero was operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and possessing cocaine. Arturo Martinez-Cordero was taken into custody without incident.
The Dubois County Sheriff's Office assisted by utilizing their K-9 and transporting Arturo Martinez-Cordero to the Dubois County Security Center, where he was processed on the following criminal charges without bond:
- Warrant on Warrant, 1st Degree Murder, from Asheville, North Carolina (1 Count)
- Possession of Cocaine, Level 5 Felony (1 Count)
- Operating While Intoxicated with BAC .08 or higher, Class C Misdemeanor
- Operating While Intoxicated, Class C Misdemeanor
- Operating While Intoxicated Endangerment, Class A Misdemeanor
- Operating a Motor vehicle W/O receiving a license, Class C Misdemeanor