Huntingburg Fire Crews Respond to Smoke in an Apartment, Find No Working Detectors Inside


HUNTINGBURG -- Fire crews in Huntingburg responded to a report of smoke in an apartment in the 100 block of North Jackson Street around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"First arriving units discovered that the upstairs apartment had filled with smoke," explains fire investigator John Smith with Huntingburg Fire.  "The cause of the smoke was due to a malfunctioning stove that had turned itself on without any food being on it."

No one was hurt and there was no structural damage.

Smith says there were no working smoke detectors in the apartment.  He reminds Huntingburg residents that law requires them to have working smoke detectors in all residential properties.  If you're renting an apartment, the landlord is responsible for ensuring you have working detectors when you move in, but it is the tenant's responsibility to maintain them and ensure they are in proper working order.