By: Corbin Lingenfelter, News Director
Dubois Co.- Halloween is two weeks away, and local officials want children and adults to have a safe experience.
Trick or treating is a staple of Halloween, but in recent years has brought concerns involving what children receive in their pales or bags.
“Make sure the candy or treats are in a sealed and unopened original wrapper,” Said Deputy Tim Lampert with the Dubois County Sheriff’s Office, “A lot of times they have air pockets in them, so you can see air is not being let out with the sealing of the treat. If there are any types of fruits, parents should check them over to make sure there is nothing suspicious about them also.”
While trick or treating, whether partaking or driving, Deputy Lampert and the Sheriff’s Office recommends:
- Stay Visible: Wear reflective clothing and use glow sticks or flashlights to make sure you're visible to drivers.
- Plan Your Route: Stick to well-lit areas and familiar neighborhoods. Don't forget to share your route with someone at home.
- Avoid Distractions: Put away your phone and eliminate any other distractions while driving.
Parents should also trick or treat with their younger children and have a designated meeting place for older kids trick or treating on their own. Deputy Lampert also recommends trimming long costumes to avoid a tripping hazard and choosing masks that won’t block your child’s vision.
Law enforcement encourages if you see something suspicious, say something to your local officers or deputies. In recent years, there have been growing concerns about drugs being made to look like candy, being given to children on Halloween.
“If you see anything suspicious contact local law enforcement,” Deputy Lampert explained, “They will go over it. Again make sure your candy and your items are in sealed, unopened original wrappers. And again, hopefully you're going to a majority of familiar residences that you know.”
Dubois County Trick or Treating Hours (All times Eastern):
- Celestine Cub Scouts Trick or Canning: 6:30 PM
- Jasper Parks and Rec @ Central Green: 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Celestine: 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Ferdinand: 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Birdseye: 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
- Huntingburg: 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Jasper: 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Holland: 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Dubois: 6:30 PM
(Graphic Created on Canva)