JASPER -- Officials in Jasper want residents to know some important information about the 2020 Census.
* All data collected by the Census Bureau (including data collected via administrative record sharing agreements) are confidential and protected under federal law. The Census Bureau is not allowed to release individual data or personal responses to anyone, for any purpose - including to other government agencies or law enforcement.
* Responding to the Census will help ensure that our communities get their fair share of federal funds for programs like Medicaid, SNAP, Head Start, unemployment benefits, Section 8 housing vouchers, programs for seniors and veterans with disabilities, and school lunch programs. It also helps ensure that our communities have fair political representation, and enough money to build roads, hospitals, and schools.
* When communities are missed in the census, they lose out on funding, resources, and equal political representation. Everyone deserves to be counted.
* Participating in the census helps determine how many books and computers your kids' school can afford, where companies bring new jobs, and whether there's money to fix your communities' roads.
* Ensuring an accurate census will help make sure your community is properly represented in Congress, state legislatures, and even city and county councils and local school boards.