From Local Sources
AREA WIDE -- The Indiana Department of Transportation announces that chip and seal operations will begin district wide on April 30th.
Depending upon weather conditions, INDOT crews will begin chip and seal operations on State Road 168 near Owensville. Multiple locations are scheduled for chip and seal operations, with work scheduled to last 6-8 weeks. Typically work to chip and seal in one location will last for about four days depending upon weather conditions and will be done under full road closures to prevent damage to both vehicles and the roadway. This also increases the quality of the finished roadway. After chip and seal operations are complete, any loose aggregate will be swept away from the road.
Chip and seal operations, on average, extend the life of pavement by three to five years. For every $1 spent on chip and seal, taxpayers save $6-14 in future road rehabilitation and construction costs. Motorists should remember to slow down, increase following distance, obey all work zone signs and flaggers, and plan for extra time to get to your destination.
The schedule of chip and seal operations is as follows (all dates are weather dependent):
- Monday, April 30 SR 168 in from County Road 600 S to just west of the Fort Branch town limits
- Friday May 4, S.R. 65 (two locations), from the Gibson/Pike County line to S.R. 56 and From the north end of the Patoka River Bridge to the Gibson/Pike County line.
- May 14, S.R. 56 (three locations) from U.S. 41 to Gibson/Pike County line, from the Gibson/Pike County line to S.R. 65 and from S.R. 65 to the west city limit of Petersburg.
- May 22, S.R. 364 in Pike County from S.R. 61 to the end of the road.
- May 29, S.R. 48 (four locations) from North Thomas Street (east of Shelburn town limit) to the Sullivan/Clay County line, From Sullivan/Clay County Line to the Clay/Greene County line, From Clay/Green County line to C.R. 1450 W (West town limit of Jasonville), and from just east of S.R. 59 to S.R. 157 in Greene County.
- June 11, S.R. 59 in Greene County from West C.R. 300 N to S.R. 48.
- June 15, S.R. 159 in Knox Couny from Brocksmith/Oaktown Road (North of the Bicknell City limit) to S.R. 58.
- June 22, S.R. 245 in Spencer County from S.R. 70 to the north side of C.R. 1300 N
- June 27, S.R. 68 in Posey County from S.R. 69 to the west town limit of Poseyville.
INDOT urges drivers to slow down and stay alert near crews.