- 1 egg
- 2 cups half & half cream, divided use
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 tsp. salt, divided use
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb. red potatoes, cubed
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen peas, thawed
In a bowl, beat the egg. Add 1/3 cup of the cream, the bread crumbs, onion, and 1 tsp. of salt. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix together well. Shape into 1/2 inch balls.
In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meatballs in butter, half at a time. Remove from the pan. Set aside. Drain fat.
To the pan, add flour, bouillon, pepper, garlic salt, and the remaining salt. Stir together until smooth.
Gradually stir in the water. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Add potatoes and meatballs. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Stir in peas and remaining cream. Heat through.
Makes about 2 quarts.