- 24 whole fresh mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine (divided use)
- 1/4 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
Remove stems from the mushroom. Chop stems. Cook the stems and onion in 1 Tbsp. of butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in ham and Parmesan cheese. Set this mixture aside.
In a small saucepan, melt 1 Tbsp. butter. Stir in flour and salt. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in ham mixture.
Fill mushroom caps with mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Place stuffed mushrooms in a greased shallow baking dish. Bake at 425° F in oven for 8 to 12 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
Makes 24 appetizers.