It is not too late to get the vaccine. It takes 2 weeks for the antibodies to develop so the public should not hesitate if they still want to receive the vaccine. The Health Department is offering the vaccine daily from 8-11am and 1-3pm. Most insurance pays for the vaccine. If they do not have insurance, the cost is $44.
Influenza (the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk
People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:
- fever* or feeling feverish/chills
- sore throat
- runny or stuffy nose
- muscle or body aches
- fatigue (very tired)
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
*It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.
Everyone can help protect themselves from the flu by practicing food health habits:
- Get plenty of rest
- Eat right
- Wash your hands
- Sneeze or cough into your shirt sleeve or tissue
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Don’t visit people who are sick
- Stay at home if you are sick