This weekend I’ll be going to my first ever Old Jasper Day after I leave the WITZ studios on Sunday.
I’m pretty excited about it because this is a new experience for me. I really enjoy going to the annual events around Dubois County. It helps me to learn more about the community, especially since I’m not from Dubois County. I’m still pretty new around here so I’m still learning a lot of things. That’s why I can’t wait to go to Old Jasper Day for the first time!
There are a lot of fun things that are going on during Old Jasper Day that I’m looking forward to seeing and doing. And while I’m out and about, I’m going to take a stroll on the Riverwalk. I haven’t even done that yet, can you believe it? Now that the weather is getting nice – well…excluding the rain – I’m going to make it a priority to do that for the first time on Sunday as well.
Just in case you’re curious about what’s going on and when it’ll be happening during Old Jasper Day, I have some information for you about it here. As I said, it’ll be this Sunday, May 19. There will be activities all day from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m (ET). This is a list of some of the things you’ll be able to do on Sunday:
- Strawberry Festival presented by the Jasper Lions Club – This is taking place in the Shelter Houses by the Plaza. You can enjoy strawberries, sandwiches, and other delicious treats throughout the whole day!
- Spirit of Jasper Train Rides – This will be at the Train Depot. The tickets will be available at a special price that’s only for Old Jasper Day. It’s $3 per person. Train rides are at 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Horse-Drawn Wagon Rides – Hop on near the Train Depot from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. The wagon-ride will take you on a short ride around Old Jasper. This is free, but donations are appreciated.
- Patoka 2000 Duck Race – Watch the ducks race near the gazebo in the Riverwalk Plaza area. Little plastic toy ducks will be racing at 1:00 p.m. You can sponsor a plastic duck for $5 or 3 for $10.
- Afternoon Concert in the Park – Danielle Lee Wehr will perform from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Historical Walking Tour of Jasper – You can follow the map and learn about Jasper.
- Historic Barn – Check it out! It’s on East 4th Street at the entrance to the Riverwalk.
- Jasper City Mill – You can watch as corn is ground into cornmeal every 30 minutes. Learn about the history of Jasper and about the mill.
- Will Read (and Sing) For Food – The Will Read (and Sing) for Food players are performing from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Jasper Riverwalk gazebo. Bring a canned good or monetary donation to watch the show. Your donations will go to the Community Food Bank.
There’s just so much going on during Old Jasper Day. Hopefully I’ll be able to see everything. And hopefully I’ll see you there!
If you’re looking for other stuff to do, you can always visit the WITZ Special Community Events Calendar and have a glimpse at some of the events that are coming up. Just go here: http://www.witzamfm.com/programs/special-community-events/