I’ll be experiencing another Dubois County first this weekend. The Jasper Strassenfest! Unfortunately, I moved to Dubois County just after Strassenfest last year and so I missed it. I’m determined not to miss it again this year!
The Strassenfest is something that I’ve heard about time and again for the entirety of the time that I’ve lived in Jasper. It was the first event that I heard about upon coming to Dubois County. I heard about it my very first day at WITZ. Honestly I did! A pamphlet from last year’s Strassenfest had been laid on my desk for me to browse through at my own convenience, just so I could get a feel for what Strassenfest was.
Its exciting to think that I’m finally going to get to experience Strassenfest! Like I said…I’ve been hearing about it for almost a full year now. That’s a lot of time to build up anticipation for something and I’m glad the time has finally come that I’ll get to experience it myself. I know that Strassenfest is a pretty big deal just from how often I’ve heard about it and how excited everyone I’ve talked to is for.
I’ve been looking through this year’s Strassenfest schedule and there are a lot of really interesting events that will be going on. I’ve included a few of the events in a brief schedule below. This isn’t a complete list of Strassenfest events though…only a few that I’ve picked out that look interesting.
Thursday, August 1
- $100,000 Hole in One Shoot Out - The Shoot Out qualifying rounds begin on Thursday, August 1st at 5:00 p.m. and goes through Sunday, August 4th at 2:00 p.m. It’ll take place at Sultan’s Run Golf Course.
- Celebration Singers – 5:45 p.m. – East Courthouse Steps
- Jasper Jaycees Bier Garten – 6:00 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. – The Continentals and Aplen Echo will perform in the Bier Garten from 7:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- Official Opening Ceremony – 6:15 p.m. – Main Stage – Derrick Bair will make opening remarks, the Queen’s court will be introduced, and Mayor Seitz will make a Burgermeister Proclamation.
- Karaoke Contest – 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. – Main Stage – Solo or group acts can perform their favorite karaoke songs with a change to win a cash prize. If you’re interested in particpating, contact Chris James at 812-482-2131.
- The Marlins- 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. – West Side Stage – The Marlins will perform! They’re a musical group made up of four brothers.
- Log Sawing Contest – 9:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. – Main Stage
- Polka and Chicken Dance Contests - 10:00 p.m. – Bier Garten
Friday, August 2
- Dancing with the Stars of Germany - 4:30 p.m. – Cabby O’Neil Gymnasium – It’s a free Polka & German dance class!
- Don Baggett, Comedian and Magician - 5:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. – Main Stage
- Jasper Jaycees Bier Garten - 6:00 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. – The Continentals and Alep Echo perform in the Bier Garten from 6:30 p.m. until 12:30 a.m.
- Matt Jergens, Comedian and Juggler – 6:15 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. – Main Stage
- Hot Air Balloon Race - Balloons will begin to stage at 6:30 p.m. at Division Road and St. Charles Street.
- Endless Summer Band - 8:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. – Main Stage
Saturday, August 3
- Ride in Motorcycle Show - 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Riverwalk Barn Area – Judging takes place from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Cost is $10 to enter.
- Auto Schau - 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Jasper Riverwalk – Registration is from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. with awards at 3:00 p.m. Cost is $15 per auto.
- Autolauf (Road Rally) - 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Schroeder Complex – Cost is $20 per vehicle. It’s not a race…but accuracy, timing, and the best poker hand will win!
- Great Little Pretenders – 11:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. – Main Stage – Kids will lip-sync in this free contest.
- The Kent Sparrow Combo - 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. – Jasper City Mill
- Kirby Stailey - 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. – West Side Stage
- Das Kinderspiel (Children’s Games) – 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. – Main Stage – This is for children ages 4 to 7. Sign up at the time of the event. $2 per person.
- Norb Krapf, Acclaimed Poet - 2:0o p.m. – Dubois County Museum
- Jasper Jaycees Bier Garten - 3:00 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. – The Continentals and Aplen Echo will perform in the Bier Garten from 5:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- 7 Bridges: The Ultimate Eagles Experience - 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. – Main Stage
Sunday, August 4
- Strassenfest Parade - 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Downtown Jasper
- Celebration Singers – 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – Holy Family Church
- Fireworks Celebration – The fireworks will be at dark downtown!
This list is by no means complete. Even with as many events that I’ve shared here with you, there are so many others that I haven’t listed here. You can see a complete list of events on the Jasper Strassenfest website.
I hope you enjoy Strassenfest. I’m certain I will!